Monday, May 22, 2006

 

Mediums are a great big load of naffness

I've been asked in the comments on this post to respond to the following
"Well...if you say its not God giving these mediums their information, i have just one thing to say...........prove it."
Very well, I'll give it my best shot, bearing in mind that this is not an area that I have studies, or indeed read on other than general tit-bits .

I have, I feel, given a good explanation for my view that 'mediums' are, in general either self-deluding fools, or knowing charlatans, giving examples of the 'Cold Calling' technique from here, and pointed you towards the Houdini case (where Houdini and his wife agree on a set of words that Harry was to utter to his wife via a 'medium' after his death. After a decade of trying with various 'mediums' all of who claimed to be in touch with Houdini, none of whom produced the code words, his wife gave up.). However, if we are to assume that there is something supernatural taking place when 'mediums' talk to the dead, I will try to prove that it is not 'God inspired'.

1) God works in mysterious ways. These ways do not include allowing the dead to talk to the living via a 'medium' for a paying audience, for one, God would not be so tacky, but more importantly, God's blessings simply don't work in that way. God loves us all, yet when someone asks for a new car in a prayer, very rarely does one turn up on the doorstep the next morning. God only provides miracles if it will help someone's faith develop, and if one would increase ones belief in God if He gave you a car, then that's the wrong sort of faith

2) What ends would result from God giving a person this 'gift'? This sort of mild new-ageyness is only the first stepping stone on the road towards sticking a Quartz crystal in your belly-button an 'omning' to yourself. Wouldn't it seem a lot more rational that something that wants to lead the believer away from God is doing this sort of thing?

3) The Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church condemns it.

4) Scripture condemns it.

I would imagine that's enough of my poorly thought through and hastily scribbled-down arguments for one night.

Technorati Tags: ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?